Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I never thought of 23 as middle age

 Article by: Bud Shuler, MD., FACS
February 2011

Take a moment and count to eight. Eight seconds...barely enough time to tie your shoes. Strange to think that in that short passage of time, someone in the world died from tobacco use.   Although I first learned it from my parents and grandparents, as a medical provider, I recommit my life daily to making a difference in the lives of others.  As a vascular surgeon, I spend much of that time trying to improve the body’s ability to carry life-giving oxygen and nutrients through our patients’ diseased arteries, so that their quality of life is worth living.  And much like the commercial alluded to in the title above that has Rick Stoddard, a motivational speaker, talking about his wife of 24 years dying at age 46 from lung cancer, I am rather blunt in my discussions with patients about their attempts to thwart our efforts. 

My staff is often humored by my leading statement, “I can tell that you smoke.”  Leading in with that comment, I always get the response, “Really, how did you know?”  What follows rouses anger, shock, disbelief, but more often than not, a spark of personal accountability.  “I can tell you smoke because you smell bad” seems to work for the men.  The women usually bristle when I respond, ”because your face looks old!”  Now that I have their attention, I offer help in any form to aid in their cessation.   I explain the importance of tobacco on the degradation of a person’s health but more importantly on that of their family.  An individual has the freedom to choose whether to smoke or to stop smoking, but the family must often accept the emotional pain and financial burden that comes with their failing to stop.   Smokers often ignore the personal accountability that should come with their decision to smoke.  I try to alter their perspective a bit.

Many of our grandparents and even our parents have passed away, but they continue to frequent our memories because of the amazing influence they had in our lives.  Have you ever thought about what you would give, or give up to have them around another day, or week, or month?  What is the value you place on their love and supportive smile, their depth of wisdom concerning the challenges of life we are facing now, their warm embrace?  I remember how wonderful mine were and miss them daily.  They were my heroes.

Unfortunately, I lost 3 of my grandparents to the destructive power of tobacco.  I know that had they stopped sooner, they would have likely been around a little longer and gotten to meet my wonderful wife and our precious children.  They chose not to accept their addiction to cigarettes as something more than a personal problem because they didn’t realize until too late that their decision affected their own children, their friends, and more selfishly, me and my children.  We are much wiser now.  We better know the effects of tobacco on our bodies and the poor quality of life that usually follows.  We also have many aids to assist us in changing this habit, from medications and electric cigarettes to help lines, support groups and classes at both local hospitals and the Department of Health.  Assistance is available.

This Valentine’s Day, seek help.  Commit yourself to making a difference in the lives of others.  Show your love to your grandchildren and children and begin to practice personal accountability in your life and theirs.  What is the value of my parents and grandparents?  Priceless.  Be priceless to yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment